Saturday 30 June 2012

Is... Is that a Gelert Solo?!

Why I Own A Gelert Solo + My New Footprint Design

If you have read my last wild camp (here) you will know that two of my mates took Gelert Solo's, the conditions were terrible - strong winds/hail/heavy snow, but both tents stood up to the challenge. For £30 you are protected from the elements. That's all I need (especially since I don't have enough money to waste on a fancier tent). Which is why I am the owner of a Gelert Solo. 


There are a few downsides to this bargain tent, the main one being space, which is why I made a footprint (to the right). It's basically the shape of the inner, only larger, with an elongated area left at the entrance, this serves a few purposes. When it's dry, I am are able to sit on it; to cook, take my boots off and do anything else that I am unable to do once in the small bivvy like tent, the eyelets allow the sheet to be pegged down in slightly windy scenarios. 




When it's raining and you have no option but to cook, you are able to create a small shelter with a pole, rope/bungee cord and peg, you can then lay in your tent and cook on the small porch. When I first tried this without the footprint I noticed the wind would affect the stove, now if I pitch into the wind I can create a wind shield with the footprint, but still leave enough open to cook (the wind shield also protects my bag from the rain). 







Since I'm pitching this end into the wind, I peg the vent shut - this is because my mate mentioned that water would sometimes spray into the tent through there. I also use rock pegs on this end, I cross peg the guy ropes with the steel pegs supplied, adding stability.





Also a lot of people complain about the lack of space for their backpacks, I can fit my 65L bag between the inner and outer and then rap the extended footprint around the pack to ensure it stays dry. You can also keep wet clothes on the other side of the tent (opposite the door) by reaching over the inner - the footprint keeps the clothes off the ground and protected from wind etc. I am about to put the tent to its first proper test - 2 weeks wild camping in the dales and lake district, I will possibly review it when I get back.




2 comments:

ssmith217 said...

Hi Dan,

Great set up! What footprint are you using or have you custom made your own?

Cheers

Steve

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment